Whether you’re looking to dominate the galaxy in the name of the Empire or rescue it from darkness as part of the Republic, you won’t get very far without a starship. In Star Wars™: The Old Republic™, your starship will be your base of operations, and it might even be your best friend. Ship models are specially designed to match the needs and tastes of each of the class types, so even though all the starships are outfitted for traveling the galaxy, each has its own character.
The following starships are available:
- BT-7 Thunderclap – Trooper
- D5-Mantis – Bounty Hunter
- Defender – Jedi Knight, Jedi Consular
- Fury – Sith Warrior, Sith Inquisitor
- X-70B Phantom – Imperial Agent
- XS Stock Light – Smuggler
Space Combat Gameplay Video
During PAX East 2011, BioWare unveiled the first live space combat video to the general public.
Additionally, here are some other leaked space combat videos.
Saleucami Fleet Action:
Cartel Listening Station:
- Hutt Space: Nar Shaddaa, Quesh & Voss
- Distant Outer Rim: Belsavis, Hoth & Tattooine
- Coreward Worlds: Alderaan, Balmorra, Corellia, Coruscant, Ord Mantell, Tyhon & Transit Outpost.
- Seat of the Empire: Taris & Telos
Here’s a list of a few Empire space missions and their basic descriptions.
- Jabiim Escort: This is a very basic mission, where you have to protect an escort craft by fending off fighters and a couple of frigates. It’s tough to fail this one, even without upgrades. A good space combat tutorial.
- Saleucami Fleet Action: Protect the fleet from fighters and frigates as they attempt to escape the Saleucami system. You also have to destroy a Republic fighter ace flying around in a BT-7 Thunderclap (the Trooper ship).
- Cartel Listening Station: Your job is to assault a Republic space station hidden in Hutt space. To win, you must destroy about 75% of the hangar bays, turrets and communications antennas on the station. Bonus points for loving up the frigates, fighters and orbital defense platforms protecting the station.
- Nez Peron Sweep (Grade 1): Your job is to fly through an asteroid field, shooting down Republic ships hiding amongst the space rocks. You’ll get into a firefight with a couple of frigates and a destroyer near the end.
- Sarapin Assault (Grade 1): Your job is to blow the shield generators on a Republic destroyer, fending off a dozen frigates and a couple fighter wings in the process. Easy, right? Bonus points for destroying most of the fighters as well as the engines/shield generators on the frigates.
- Taspan Ambush (Grade 2) : Your job is to protect a transport vessel as it tries to escape an ambush by Republic fighters and frigates. Literally a dozen frigates bear down on the transport, making this one petty drat tough. A destroyer pops up near the end of this one, which will blow the transport if you haven’t done a good job protecting it earlier on.
- Ezran Outpost (Grade 2): A harder version of Cartel Listening Station. Most targets are lightly shielded and have hard hitting weapons. You must also be more through in the crippling of the station to satisfy the victory condition.
- Mugaar Ice Field (Grade 3): A harder version of Saleucami Fleet Action, except you’re trying to blow a Correlian Defender (Jedi Knight) instead of a Thunderclap in the midgame. Most targets are heavily shielded and have hard hitting weapons. Additionally, you get into a dogfight with a BT-7 Thunderclap at the very beginning that will deal a hell of a lot of damage to your ship if you don’t destroy it quickly.
- Skaross Fortification (Grade 3): The objective is to prevent Republic bombers from destroying an Imperial weapons facility. Throughout the mission, groups of bombers will appear that you have to spam fire missiles at to kill. Since there’s 10-12 per group, it gets quite frantic trying to target/destroy them all. This is on top of the usual fighters, frigates and destroyers. Just like the last two, targets are shielded and hit hard.
Doing all of the space combat dailies gives you a half level worth of experience. This is good if you feel like skipping a few quest chains and find yourself falling behind. As you gear out your ship, you become capable of achieving bonus objectives that can increase the EXP haul of earlier missions. For example, using proton torpedoes to destroy the command deck of a destroyer or the comms array of a space station will get you another 500-2000 experience per run. Blowing these up before getting protons or beam upgrades is either not doable or takes a ridiculous amount of firepower.
More Starships & Space Combat Info
- You can’t customize your ship’s interior, but you can add weapons and rockets as mods
- You will get your own spaceship on you factions capital world after the end of a storyline (quest) and be able to travel freely through the galaxy, via the galaxy map on your ship
- There is a fuel cost to move around the galaxy map
- Space combat missions are along the lines of Escort missions, Attacking space stations or just trying to survive
- By playing space combat you can gain XP, Credits and get upgrades for your ship
- Movement around space such as planet to planet is done via the Galaxy map
- Starship upgrades: Beam Generator, Beam Charger, Ship Armor, Energy Shield, Shield Charger, Missile Magazine, Photon Cannon